Baseball, athletics step up
As fans flock to Indian Wells to watch the pro stars play, nearly all of them started out as high school athletes. Our desert trails, our diamonds, our golf courses, our swimming pools and our tennis courts are teeming with athletes, perhaps with plans to become a future professional.
Let’s take a look at some of their recent efforts:
Desert Mirage girls beat Indio: Abelinda Solano took first place in the shot put and Patricia Parra took the discus as part of the Rams victory. Caitlyn Hill won the long jump and runner-up Gabriela Perez won the 3,200 and 800 meter races.
Girls La Quinta 107, Hemet 20: The Blackhawks picked up a non-league victory with several game-winning performances:
- 4x100m relay: Ahn do, Nazlie Perez, Jaeleene Ramos, Iliana Rivera 52.45
- 1600m: Monique Verduzco 5:34
- 400m: Haylie Hutchinson 1:0.40
- 100m: Nazli Perez 13.25
- 200m: Nazli Perez 27.48
- 800m: Madison Miller 2:33.97
- 100 hurdles: Iliana Rivera 17.53
- 300 hurdles: Haylie Hutchinson 48.01
- 3200m: Ana Lezama 13:32.53
- Big jump: Alaysia Smoot 4-10
- Triple jump: Haylie Hutchinson 29-10.5
- Long jump: Alaysia Smoot 16-7
- 4x400m relay: April Barraza, Saveyra Guerrero, Raisa Guerrero, Monique Verduzco 4:37.62
Boys of La Quinta 102, Hemet 25: The Blackhawks beat Hemet in the last meeting before the start of Wednesday’s championship game against Xavier Prep.
Here are the Blackhawks’ winning efforts:
- 4x100m relay: Jeremie Sanchez, Fernando Lopez, Anthony Perdomo, Alexandre Bernal 4.17
- 1600m: Tyler Fieux 4:41
- 110m hurdles: Hayden McKee 15.79
- 100 meters : Fernando Lopez 11.24
- 300m hurdles: Juan Bautista 42.99
- 200 meters: Fernando Lopez 23.04
- 800 meters: Divan Mejia-Gonzalez 2:08.02
- 3200 meters: Tyler Fieux 10:34.01
- 4x400m relay: Divan Mejia-Gonzalez, Tyler Fieux, Enrique Espinosa, Fernando Lopez 3:38.63
- Shot put : Tommy Ansley37-5.5
- Disk: Owen Fox 108-2
- Triple jump: Hayden McKee 37-9
- Big jump: Hayden McKee 5-8
Shadow Hills vs. Palm Springs vs. Beaumont: The Knights men’s team picked up two wins in the doubleheader, beating Beaumont 88-39 and Palm Springs 114-13.
The event winners for the Knights were:
- 100m: Michael DeTamble 11.73
- 200m: Ambrosio Pasillas 23.21
- 400m: Ambrosio Pasillas 52.57
- 800m: Antoine Janisch 2:03.98
- 110m hurdles: Andy Felix 19.69
- 300m hurdles: Michael DeTamble 41.77
- Long jump: Malachi Murrell 20-0
- Triple jump: Malachi Murrell 41-6
- 4x100m relay: Jose Gonzalez, Michael DeTamble, Christian Padilla, Ambrosio Pasillas 44.41
- 4x400m relay: Ruben Diaz, Anthony Janisch, Michael DeTamble, Ambrosio Pasillas 3:35.12
On the boys side for Palm Springs, Evan Zakian had a personal best in three events to lead the way. Jankarl Castillo won the drive with a 126-0 throw.
On the girls side, the Knights lost to Beaumont 78-48 but beat Palm Springs 107-10. The winners for the Knights were:
- 100m: Shadai Boyle 13.46
- 200m: Angela Vine 28.44
- 3200m: Marjourie Lopez 11:25.64
- 100m hurdles: Valerie Obeso 19.60
- Shot put : Isabelle Pimentel 27-08
- 4x100m relay: Shadai Boyle, Kayden Harris, Charlii Gonzalez, Angela Vine 52.63
Shadow Hills starts the league Wednesday at Rancho Mirage. The Knights will face La Quinta the following week (March 23) at home in a meeting that could determine this year’s league champion.
Golf for boys
Palm Desert 226, La Quinta 263: In the Blackhawks’ loss, Tyler Garrison led the way with a 47 and Leonardo Perez-Menor added a 50. Daxton Westlakes had a 52, Jonathan Charos a 54 and Sinjin Armstrong a 60.
No results were reported in Palm Desert.
Desert Christian Academy 14, Calipatria 6: Dusty Nixon pitched four innings with 10 strikeouts and went 2-for-4 to trigger the Conquerors. Dakota Young was 4 for 5 and Christian Adamson was 3 for 4 with a double.
Rancho Mirage 15, Palm Springs 9: The Rattlers battled the Indians and the Wind and came out with a win. Marcos Ceja Jr. rode four rounds for the win, while Andres Orellana closed it out for the final three rounds. Offensively, Jose Diaz had three hits and five RBIs, while Orellana had three hits and four RBIs. Adrian Vasquez went 2 for 2 with a walk, three and RBI and a steal. Rancho Mirage is now 2-2 in the DEL.
In the Indians’ loss, Zack Thomason was 3-for-4 and Isaac Barranco and Robbie Katrenich each had two hits.
Palm Springs 7, Santa Rosa 6: The Indian Bats came alive with seven hits on two strikes in a non-league win over Santa Rosa. Zack Thomason and Isaac Barranco led the way with two hits. Isaac Barranco pitched five quality innings in the win.
Yucca Valley 16, Twentynine Palms 2: The Trojans scored a comfortable DVL victory. In the Wildcats’ loss, doubles teams Amiel Escobal and Jovan Delonguerrero and Hunter Branch and Brayden Chambers each won a set. Twentynine Palms are 1-1 in the league and host Desert Hot Springs on Monday.
To report a high school result, please email the information to [email protected]
Comments are closed.